Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

A highly debated topic; breastfeeding.

I never in my life thought I would be nursing a baby, let alone nursing a toddler. When I got pregnant with Jacob breastfeeding was not something I was interested in, at all. I was repulsed by the idea honestly. When I had Jacob, I decided to give it a shot. Nobody was very helpful at that time. So I gave up and Jacob was given formula. On day 3 of his life my milk came in. All I could think was this was my one shot to try again. So I did. I couldn't get him to latch, so I had to pump, and i did. Around the clock. It was exhausting. Finally I was able to meet with a lacation consultant, and to be honest we never really got latching down. It is what it is.

So here is my rant. Why don't more people TRY breastfeeding? I see so many people who say it's gross, and it's this and that. Their boobs are theirs.. or their husbands.. or their neighbors [lol]. Who knows what they do. Almost everyone says they don't produce [which is pretty rare honestly]. It's just irritating to me. I feel really strongly about breastfeeding as of lately. I just think that if people tried it out for 6 weeks. And went from there. Their minds might change and more babies would be breastfed. I never had a set goal really. I made it to 6 weeks and said lets see how 3 months goes, from there to 6, to 9, and then I said what the heck let's go a year. Jacob is 15 months old now, and I don't really plan to stop anytime soon. I know a lot of people who wean feel "done" with it. I don't feel that at all. Actually the idea of weaning makes me really sad! I've cried a few times at LLL meetings just talking about it! Now, I am not one of those moms who would look down on a mother for formula feeding. I get that you can't force anyone to breastfeed, and in some cases there is a legit reason someone can't. But really. I just don't understand how someone can look at all the benefits for both baby and mom. And yet, not even want to try. Someone please explain this to me!



3 comments:

  1. I love this post, I do agree more people need to give it a shot and then they would change their mind like you did.
    I'm looking forward to making it work this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't agree more. I feel like it's always worth a shot both for health and heck financial reasons. I'll admit there were times that breastfeeding was driving me nuts, but I'm so happy I did for as long as I could. Having said that, I don't believe I'm a better mother for having done it vs someone who hasn't, but I'm glad I made the effort :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We talked about this before and I totally agree.

    I laugh when people say they "couldn't" breastfeed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love comments.